Stay tuned for Part II of the honeymoon story 😉 And while my brain may still be a bit locked in beach/honeymoon mode, overall I remain on a quest to find educational and super fun things for folks and families to do over the summer. Very important key to this, though, is budget. All the costs of summer time fun can add up quickly, but one of the many things I love about Pittsburgh is the awesome variety of things to do for free. Free! My favorite word.
So if you’re still looking for some fun ways to stimulate creativity and engagement, while not breaking the bank, below are the top ten places that offer free family learning adventures you can explore this summer. Just as a side note when you’re exploring the event pages, for a number of the facilities listed below, free programs are mixed with cost programs. Nothing outrageous, just something to keep in mind. Also, some of these activities are great not just for families but for singles, couples, groups, Uncle Louie, whomever!
- Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania ~ Select bird walks and guided nature walks are free, all just outside the city
- Allegheny County Parks ~ Hometown Hoops minicamps and swimming classes (free swimming classes only held at Boyce Park, South Park, and Settlers Cabin Park)
- Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy ~ Buzzword Family Walks, Nature Walks, and City of Learning in Schenley Plaza
- Carnegie Libraries ~ Story times, Teen Times, Craft Time, Gamer Time (??), and Author events
- Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation ~ free walking city tours every Friday. New tour every month
- Allegheny Observatory (The stars, people! The stars!) ~ Free, but reservations required, ages 8 and up
- Old Allegheny County Jail Tours ~ If you’re feelin’ a bit quirky
- Assemble Pittsburgh ~ M3 programs free over the summer—arts, materials, and building for 1st-8th grade
- Powdermill Nature Preserve ~ A little drive outside the city, but a wide variety of free programs and guided nature walks
- Almost free: Access/EBT card holders: $1 admission to the Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History. Other discounts or free admission for students, AAA members, service men/women, and seniors.